Re: Parts Washers Con't (the fluid)

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Subject: Re: Parts Washers Con't (the fluid)
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 13:32:10 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>, "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, Kai M. Radicke wrote:

> > Umm, is that biodegradable before or after it is used? Once you
> > clean some dirty parts, what happens to the oil and other auto
> > fluids you just cleaned off? Do they biodegrade as well?

I think that some of the oils and greases may break down but probably not
much.

A lot of the Citrus-based solvents are just as nasty as those based on
mineral spirits - just derived from a different source.  Wear gloves!

> Good question.  I have no idea, I just noticed biodegradable parts washing
> solution being mentioned in the previous thread. And as I am environmentally
> conscious I'm on a hunt to track it down.

They probably have a lot of detergents and phosphates in them, which are
not as deadly as other products (gasoline), but can still cause
environmental impact, usually due to groundwater saturation.  I wouldn't
dump out your parts washer if you're drinking from a well.

Most local recycling depots can tell you more about what's safe to dump
and what isn't, and where you can take the unsafe stuff.  In the above
case, if you were dealing with a phosphate compound, I think you can just
dilute it with water and sprinkle over the roses.  I COULD BE WRONG.  I
took physics and comp sci, not chemistry or biology!

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm