Bad News/Trouble With the Authorities.

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bad News/Trouble With the Authorities.
From: "Bill Brewer" <bbrewer@lightspeed.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 16:34:00 -0800
Hey Listers, especially California listers,
     Watch out.
     I drove from Tehachapi to Bakersfield with the old TR-3 sputtering. It
turned out that a choke was stuck open. Took quite a while to figure it
out... Anyway, about a week later I get a nasty letter from the DMV "Smoking
Vehicles Program" stating that they have started a file on me. I filled out
the necessary forms and sent them back stating what had happened.
     Next, I tried to register my 1961 TR-3A TS75407L. The last time it got
a new pink slip was 1980. Since then, there has been a paper trail of bill
of sales up until now. The DMV wouldn't give me a new pink until the vehicle
is physically inspected by them, at which time it must be complete with
engine. As for registering, they said that I would have to pay the back
registration (with penalties) until the last time I had proof of
registration, which was 1987. There was a loophole however, they said that
if I could have all interim owners sign "Non operation" clauses that would
prevent me from having to pay back registration fees. The woman behind the
counter then leaned forward and whispered "Just send registered letters to
their address of record at the time of the previous sales, if they come back
"return to sender", you're off the hook". What an ordeal.
     While trying to get a pink slip, I showed the people at the DMV the
build plate serial number to show proof of ownership (along with pictures).
They absolutely defecated green and began verbally vomiting all over me that
it is a federal crime to remove a VIN and they would turn me in to the
authorities if I didn't put it away instantly.
     I'll get my pink slip.
     A government OF the people, BY the people and FOR the people?

     Bill Brewer
     Tehachapi, CA