Re: should I look into this opportunity?

To: sujit roy <sujitroy@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: should I look into this opportunity?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 23:48:36 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, sujit roy wrote:

> I may have a lead into obtaining a '76 spit that was imported from the UK,
> here in San Jose, CA. It is right hand drive.  It is not registered and it,
> I'm assuming, doesn't have the stuff on it for the smog.  Is it worth
> looking into?

I suspect that a '76 is just a bit new yet (under 25 years) for any sort
of exemption. I could be wrong. Anyone?

> If I get a donor car, pre '73, and swap everything over, or just swap
> paperwork and vin no.  then would it be worth taking?

Worth taking the risk? Probably not. I suspect California, like most
other states, would frown upon a VIN plate swap. And should you encounter
any authority who actually looks things up, they will figure out that the
Commission number should end either in "L" (left hand drive) or "U" (US
model from about 1973 model year on). Matching those numbers up to a RHD
car probably won't cut it.

--Andy