oil filters and service items

To: johnw@wrq.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: oil filters and service items
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 06:17:27 EST
On Fri, 11 Feb 2000 12:28:49 -0800
John Jacobsen-Watts <johnw@wrq.com>
Wrote: Oil filter conversion for TR6: the long and short.

A recent post reminded me that there are two lenghts of filter for the TR6
spin-on conversion.

Here's the Long and Short of it:

= LONG (thank you Keith...)

Fram PF-3600
Mobil 1 is a M1209
AC Delco is a PFL400A
Motorcraft is a FL400S
Purolator Pure One is PL 20195
WIX 51516 -- Highest rated
Mobil-1 M1-209 -- very small micron and relief valve
AC Delco Ultragaurd Gold  UPFL400A  -- similar to the Mobil-1
Puralator PurONE  PL20195 - currently installed

= SHORT (i.e. the one that doesn't foul the clutch or gas (carb.) lines):
???

So, a loaded post; what ARE the short equivalents to the long filters? I am
unaware of any cross-correlate chart for this.

John
johnw@wrq.com

Hi John & list,

I assume that you are talking about the Triumph 6 Cylinder Spin-On Oil-Filter
conversion kit by MOCAL and actually made here in the UK by 'Think
Automotive'.

That being the case,

The TR6 kit is sold with a long spin-on oil filter cannister: Unipart  GFE227.

However, that filter is too long to use on my Vitesse and GT6's whereon the
chassis/frame rails are in the way.

We therefore have to use a shorter oil filter cannister...it is about the
same length as the one found on the Spitfire, (which I think has a
different/smaller fitting).

Alternative part numbers for the Short Oil Filter Cannister for the MOCAL
6-cylinder kit include:

Unipart GFE173
Halfords HOF200
Champion C104
Crosland 529
Motaquip VFL123

I appreciate that you won't be able to get some of those in the USA, but a
good motor factors should be able to cross-reference for you, and possibly
give you a list of equivalent numbers in your market.

(The Crosland Oil Filter Cross-reference book held by motor factors is
particularly good)

There is also a VERY short filter which will fit, I think it is the Crosland
659,
(the number was in gold paint on the dark blue filter, and rubbed off)
which I was told is proper to the Renault Fuego.

Best of Luck.

and FWIW, I think that all owners of LBC's should maintain their own
comprehensive lists of Service Items for their own cars, and include details
such as name of part, manufacturer(s), part number, vendor(s), price/date,
and notes, with alternative part numbers in case one or more supply dries up
over time.

note that part numbers sometimes change to suit the distributors computer
records.

e.g. the 6-cylinder head gasket was Unipart GEG346 but changed to AJM346B and
then changed again to GUG2546HG.

It might be seen as somewhat 'sad' to record such changes, but it seems to me
fairly important to know these things when your cars manufacturer has been
gone for so long!

It is also a good idea to build up a stock of spares as you are able to
afford it, and maintain that list, and your spares supply, so that you can
continue to run your car(s) for as long as possible into the future.

Léon F Guyot

Triumph Sports Six Club
International Liaison Secretary
1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible
Wimbledon, London, England.