Re: TR3 on E-Bay - 14,000 original miles

Subject: Re: TR3 on E-Bay - 14,000 original miles
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 01:36:55 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Andrew Mace wrote:

> Well, no. It looked wrong and, sure enough, closer reading (maybe on the
> web site or on eBay; can't remember) does describe it as a fiberglass
> hardtop. Only the very earliest optional factory hardtops on TR2's were
> fiberglass.

And that's why you're a show judge and I'm not !  You're absolutely
right, it's a fiberglass top, and it says so on the web site.  I can
only plead that I was in a hurry and didn't look (or read) closely.

> Does anyone else wonder why the car looks so shiny on the outside and
> clean in the interior area, but so...well...crappy under the bonnet? And
> what's with the commission number plate hanging by one rivet? I just find
> it a bit puzzling that a low-mileage car otherwise so well cared for

Well, I guess I see a different interpretation.  Rather than being well
cared for, I was thinking more along the lines of neglected in a warm,
dry place.  The auctioneers clearly know little about TRs, and the owner
is dead (possibly after a long period of infirmity).  My guess is more
like the auctioneers detailed it, made it run, put tires on it, etc.,
but other than that, it just sat for a long time.

I must admit, the missing rivet puzzles me too.  Might be that the VIN
plate has been changed ...

Randall