Re: Seeking Wisdom on expensive purchases!

To: "Kathleen T. Converse" <Kathy.Converse@home.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Seeking Wisdom on expensive purchases!
From: "Patrick Barber" <patbarber@home.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 18:57:37 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Kathleen,

Based on the fact that you have a water choke, I assume that you have a
Spitfire 1500.

I have installed the Monza exhaust system for the spitfire and found that I
was unhappy with it right from the start.  The monza Pace Setter manifold
does not fit and require a lot of manipulation to get it to work properly.
The system is shipped with out some critical hardware and I had to have it
fabricated by the local muffler shop.  After I had it installed, I was
unhappy with the sound as it was too loud (low frequency noise).  I was also
unhappy with the exhaust smell.  The setup of the monza exhaust propels the
exhaust up into the turbulent wake of the car and exhaust is pulled back
into the passenger compartment.  This was my primay reason for changing it.
I have placed a Spit Mk3 muffler in the place of the former Monza exhaust
and no longer have the noise or exhaust smell.

I am in the process of purchasing a stainless steel exhaust  from Rimmer
Brothers.  This new system will replace my Monza PaceSetter exhaust manifold
with a bifurcated tubluar manifold. This manifold is similar to the Spitfire
Mk2 manifold where the manifold has 3 collectors. Essentally it reduces from
4 pipes to 2 pipes and finally into 1 pipe.  The system I am looking at has
dual mufflers and a resonator midway between the mufflers and the manifold.

I have begun the research on replacing my single sidedraft Stromburg CD150
CDSE with a Weber carb setup.   The advandage of the Weber DGV downdraft is
that it is inexpensive, reliable, works well out of the box, and easy to
setup. I have seen them for as low a s $400.00 which includes a new
manifold. If you are looking for something which will be reliable for years
I might consider this as a replacement.

I would question why you want to replace the carb you have.  Is there
something wrong with it.  It is relatively inexpensive to rebuild and once
rebuilt, can be quite reliable.

Have fun, Let us know what you decide to do.

Patrick Barber, Allen Park, MI
70 Spitfire MkIII FDU89984L
Visit My Triumph Website at http://members.tripod.com/pgbarber