Re: Electronic Ign, junkyard replacement?

Subject: Re: Electronic Ign, junkyard replacement?
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 08:27:02 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Actually, I've thought of scouring the junkyards for an OE system that
would adapt into a Lucas distributor.  The main problem is finding a
reluctor or shutter that can be easily adapted to, or replace
completely, the Lucas points cam.  After that, the rest is easy.

There are of course other electronic ignitions that can be triggered
from the points. I've been using a MSD-6 on my TR3 for many years, and
it has worked out extremely well.  And electronic ignitions both new and
from the junk yard that can be triggered from the crank.

But, while I'd still like to build my own distributorless ign someday,
the Crane XR3000 I just bought for $60 (reman) should do fine as a
points replacement.

So, I'm inclined to believe the VTR ad is "on the level".  Anyone care
to do a "product report" for the list ? <g>

Randall
59 TR3 daily driver (well, as soon as it stops raining anyway)