Re: TR-6 Carb Throttle Bushing replacement

To: <Desenberg1@cs.com>
Subject: Re: TR-6 Carb Throttle Bushing replacement
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@lineone.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 20:14:33 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "List Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Mark
Are these SU's or Strombergs if they are Strombergs please dis regard the
following, also these carbs were HS2's and HS4's may have different
diameters,
Don't try to pull the bushes unless you are sure they are replacements as I
think there were bushes set in (possibly cast in) from new and pulling these
will do more harm than good. When I rebuilt my carbs I made brass bushes
drilled and reamed through the body on a pillar drill having very carefully
set each one up
square using two angle plates. then pressed in the bushes, slight
interference fit, then as I didn't have a 7mm reamer available to me I used
a new 7mm drill to ease the holes in the bushes after installation, they
squeeze slightly due to the interference fit, I subsequently found that the
holes for the spindles were too tight as the spindles bound when the body
was tightened to the manifold ( the gaskets are soft and compress slightly
more directly under the bolts than round the rest of the mating face) so I
had to dismantle again and ease the holes for the spindles with wet and dry
paper (400 or 600 grade) wrapped around a 3/16" bar (cut a slot up the
length to feed the end of the w&d paper into so it spins when you spin the
bar) so my advice here would be to do a trial fitting to the manifold before
you open out the ends of the butterfly screws as closing and reopening could
weaken them and lead to a bit disappearing where you least want it like down
into the engine.
Best of luck with the job,

Graham.

Ps I have done this job on both sorts of carb and the more I think about it
the less convinced I am as to which carb type this relates so measure the
spindles DON'T follow my sizes!!