Re: Seat symmetry?

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>, "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Seat symmetry?
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 23:11:10 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jeff McNeal asked:
Is there such a thing as a right hand
> and left hand seat?  Up until now, I thought the seats were
interchangeable,
> but now I'm beginning to wonder...

Can't say for sure about those specific seats, but for sure, many models of
Triumphs had R vs L seats. Because of that, it is not uncommon to have two
passenger seats in the car because they do fit. In other words, it was a
common practice when a seat showed signs of fatigue (usually the driver's
seat) to replace it. At that point, the available vehicles had far better
passenger seats than drivers, so the swap was often made. No problem until
you buy new upholstery....that is handed! My Spit Mk3 with high backs is
handed. My TR4A is handed. My TR4 is handed...but for a different reason.

Usually, there is a slight tapering inward at the top to make sure the hood
frame cleared the seat and I suppose, so that there was ample spacing
between the side of the vehicle and the seat edge. You will probably notice
that these differences are reflected in the part numbers if you have an
original Spares Catalogue. Hope this helps.
Cheers
Keith

    _       _
   | \     / |        Keith R. Stewart
   |  \   /  |        75 Camden Road
   |   \_/   |        London, Ontario
   | 62 | TR4|        N5X 2K2
   | 67 |TR4A|        Canada
   | 70 |Spit|        Home:    (519)660-1916
 __|    |Mk3 |__      E-Mail:  kstewart@wwdc.com
 \T \___|___/ H/      (and a 68 Triumph Trophy 250)
  \ R I U M P /