Re: Correct use of overdrive?????

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <silvestre.ortiz@cditx.com>
Subject: Re: Correct use of overdrive?????
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 08:27:19 -0800charset="Windows-1252"
The TR6 owner's manual is no help, I see.  If you've never driven an
overdrive car, it can be a little confusing (I learned on my old 1950
Studebaker).  Anyway, you don't use the clutch.  That's never necessary.
I've noticed that maintaining a relatively steady speed with the gas pedal
is smoothest.  Coming *out* of overdrive can be stressful on the mechanical
components if you are decelerating from highway speed (anything above 45,
let's say) with your foot completely off the gas, and then you switch out of
overdrive (i.e.downshift) into normal 4th gear.  My car gave a fairly
distinct lurch when I did this once, and I never did it again.  I always try
to keep a relatively steady speed on the pedal when taking the car *out* of
overdrive while coming down from highway speeds.  That's the only thing
I've had to get used to with the TR6.

Phil Haldeman