Re: Correct use of overdrive?????

To: silvestre.ortiz@cditx.com
Subject: Re: Correct use of overdrive?????
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 19:12:30 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 2/24/00 6:31:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
silvestre.ortiz@cditx.com writes:

<< PLEASE tell this ignorant driver of a TR6 with overdrive the proper way to
use this feature. How does one engage and disengage the overdrive correctly?
I have been told to simply move the lever down to engage, but I have been
told to take my foot off the accelerator while doing so. Another person told
me to keep my foot on the accelerator. I was told to take my foot off the
accelerator and move the lever up when disengaging the overdrive. Another
told me to depress the clutch while moving the lever up as it was like
shifting a gear. What is the correct way to engage and disengage the
overdrive?

 Silvestre Ortiz
 (VERY confused!) >>

FWIW I always try to be under a mild acceleration when engaging OD. It seems
smoother than letting off the gas. I'm pretty sure others will have different
opinions on this. Some OD's really engage hard, while others seem to take a
second or 2.
I don't see any need for the clutch in any instance, at least to do with the
OD. You can disengage the OD pretty much at any time, the only exception
being if the raised rpm when you do will put you over redline.
All my OD's are A type.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B