Re: TR4 Hoodstick Webbing Measurement

To: sanborn@net1plus.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Hoodstick Webbing Measurement
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 11:44:05 EST
Brian, you're in luck.  I just finished measuring this for Bill Luther.  My
car has the original webbing and bowsticks so you are getting the Coventry
solution.  Never had a problem with fitting of the top.  If this works for
you, please let me know and I'll get it onto the VTR website next to my
article on top replacement.

---------------------------

Starting from the rear surround:

>From the center of the long male portion of the "lift the dot" snap to the
rear part of the metal tab (that holds the webbing onto the rearmost bow) --
21 5/8 inches.  BTW the female part of the rear snap goes through a beige
flat plastic sheath that is slipped over the end of the webbing.  This will
keep the webbing from fraying.

Moving forward from the last bow section -- 1/2" across the plate then 8 1/8"
from the front part of the plate to the rear of the plate on the 2nd bow
section.

Another 1/2" across the plate on the 2nd bow section.  Then 10 1/2 " from the
front of that plate to the rear of the plate on the 1st bow section.

1/2" across the plate and leave 1/4" of the webbing bare.  This will tuck
down over the frontmost bow and become flat with use.  The 1/4 " will also
prevent the webbing from fraying or pulling out of the plate.

In a message dated 26-Feb-00 10:30:39 Eastern Standard Time,
sanborn@net1plus.com writes:

> Listers,
>
>  I need some assistance.
>
>  I am replacing my hood (top) with a new Robbins top from TRF.
>  Last spring I had to redo the webbing on the hoodsticks because
>  my car had no webbing when I bought it.
>
>  I got a measurement from Brad Kahler's TR4 restoration car last
>  April of 20 7/16" measured from the center of the hole on the
>  webbing DOT fastener to the center of the screw holes located on
>  the rear top bow.  I am sure that this is close too correct but
>  suspect something is off a little.  My current top is an old AMCO
>  top that has shrunk a bit and is hard to get on. On this top the
>  front bow ends up too far forward ... not lined up with the front
>  seam of the top and when you snap up the flap that grabs the
>  front bow it creates a bulge that shows on the outside of the
>  top. I am not sure if it is the old top or the hoodstick
>  measurement.
>
>  Before I install and fit the new top I would like to verify this
>  measurement.  For those of you with TR4s that you can get at
>  easily... would you check this measurement for me.  I have
>  checked every book I have... and I have them most of them... and
>  can't find any spec for this.
>
>  Thanks for your help.
>
>  Brian Sanborn
>  62 TR4  CT16260L - Groton, MA

Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner)