Windshield Frame

To: "INTERNET:Ct54531@aol.com" <Ct54531@aol.com>
Subject: Windshield Frame
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 21:18:50 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by INTERNET:Ct54531@aol.com

I am in the middle of removing the windshield frame for painting and
replacement of the rubber seat under it. I have removed the three hex nuts
on
the top of the dash and the four (two each side) on the sides inside the
front of the door. Is that it? The frame still sits quite firmly. I have no

reason to think it has ever been taken off before so it doesn't surprise me

that it's 'set in it's ways' (aren't we all). But, speaking of surprises, I

don't want to incrementally increase the pressure on it and then get an
unpleasant one because I forgot or didn't know about something.
Assuming it's a matter of pressure, should the exerted pressure be up? Down

and back? Up and forward. A combination of all. Wiggle-waggle, etc.
Thanks in advance. (With some luck I may make LBC week for the first time
this year.

Jim
CT54531L

<

Jim,

The Windshield frame has two studs which extend through the sockets under
the dash and is held in place with not only the bolts you have already
loosened but also two nuts on the end of the studs.  There may also be some
additional clamp bolts underneath the dash as well (I'm not sure as I
haven't done this on a TR4 in 15 years and am more familiar with the TR6
which is similar but I think the brackets are different).

Look under the dash and check it out.  Additionally, you may find what I
usually find when I do this which is: even after all the bolts and nuts are
removed the brackets are still stuck to the studs because the car was
assembled whilst the paint was still soft.  I typically have to work off on
or the other bracket by taking it completely loose and twisting it back and
forth to get it off.  This requires removal of the vent duct on that
particular side.

Pain in the arse!  Anyway, I have yet to run into a rusted one, if that's
any consolation.

Good luck and perceverance will win out.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6
80 TR8