TR6--To shave or not?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6--To shave or not?
From: Canada <canada@voyageronline.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 00 22:13:18 -0000
Greetings Listers--

I'll be installing an OD tranny and clutch in my '76 next month and have
been considering having the flywheel shaved while I'm in there.  I've
heard pros & cons about doing this from people I respect, but would
appreciate additional wisdom.  I'm not looking for race-winning
performance with this somewhat tired engine, but would like to get a
little more low-cost punch out of it if possible.  (Aluminum's probably
out of the question price-wise.)  What's the verdict on safety?  If I do
have any metal removed, I would probably stay on the conservative side,
but what's recommended and what can I expect in the way of performance?
Finally, since I've loaned out my Bentley manual and have forgotten all
that's involved in removing a flywheel (special tools or whatever), I may
put the decision off until I have the engine rebuilt in a year or two.

Thanks,

Ian
CF57345