RE: TR6--To shave or not?

To: "Canada" <canada@voyageronline.net>, "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6--To shave or not?
From: "econrad" <econrad@teal.csn.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 08:19:19 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Well, I can't help you regarding shaving weight off the flywheel (but am
interested in hearing the discussion myself, as I'm now at that point in my
restoration).  However, I can offer my opinion with removing the flywheel.

I have my engine and transmission out of the car - and took them out prior
to my pulling the body off the frame.  In retrospect, if I had pulled the
body first, pulling the flywheel with the engine in situ would have been
easy.  However, with the body firmly attached, pulling the flywheel would be
a tough job for a home garage mechanic (in my opinion).  Now I'm not saying
it can't be done, but wrestling the transmission out of the way, and then
getting at the flywheel would be tough.

If you are considering an engine rebuild, I would wait until then to do any
work to the flywheel.

Eric Conrad
Denver, CO
econrad@teal.csn.net