TR-3A Restoration Planning

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR-3A Restoration Planning
From: "Bill Brewer" <bbrewer@lightspeed.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 05:05:26 -0800

     I am nearly complete with the restoration of a 1960 TR-3A. I have
constantly muttered to myself "If I were to do this again I'd do it a better
way". Now, someone has given me a 1961 TR-3A basket case. The car is rust
free (including floors). The frame was sandblasted and painted. The carbs
professionally rebuilt. All the suspension has been rebuilt. All gauges
professionally rebuilt. The car requires minimal bodywork. Not a bad deal
for free.
     Some things that I'll do different this time:
     1. Do all pressure blasting, media blasting, painting and replating at
the same time.
     2. Rebuild all individual parts before needing them and store them in
labelled ziploc bags laid out sequentially.
     3. Acquire most required available parts over the next year whenever
they are on sale at TRF, BV, Moss, Power British and RealyHealy.

     My theory is to separate restoration from assembly. If all parts are
restored, then it becomes a matter of assembling. My British car club has
monthly run events and tech sessions and they could be drafted at certain
assembly points (they're good at what they do).

     Do any listers have other suggestions/caveats? I would enjoy hearing
them.

     Bill Brewer
     Tehachapi, CA
     1960 TR-3A TS 72747 LO