Re: Spit 1500 rear axle rebuilding

To: "Dan Buettner" <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Subject: Re: Spit 1500 rear axle rebuilding
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 20:52:53 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "List Spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "List Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Dan
The special tool will be the puller for removing the wheel flange from the
axle, the correct puller is a hydraulic unit as these flanges are on a taper
and tightened up to somewhere in the region of 80-100lbft, I tried some
under a 50 ton press at work and they didn't come off (mainly due to the
fact that the 1" steel bars I was using as supports bent). I have since made
the tool from a Sykes Pickavant hydraulic unit and a solid turned billet
this works every time. if you don't have access to the right tools then get
a local shop with a press to pull the flanges for you then do the rest of
the job your self, this is what I did before I made the tool, it used to
cost a couple of drinks for the guy who did it as they couldn't be bothered
to invoice the job. Once you have them in bits check the point on the shaft
where the needle bearing runs, if this is worn your shafts are basically
trash, they can be metal sprayed and ground down but this from what I have
heard does not last too long! So value for money is generally to get new
shafts.

Graham.