Re: USENET Trivia

To: prob@prob.com
Subject: Re: USENET Trivia
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.uofs.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 12:19:16 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
According to pRob:

> > All USENET News is public.  Some people use News Software to run local
> > setups, but they are not a part of USENET (as a piece of trivia, USENET
> > predates the INTERNET as most people know it and although I don't have
> > exact dates at hand, it probably predates the APRANET wihich was the
> > private pre-cursor to the INTERNET.)
>
> USENET started around 1980 (maybe '79--this was a while ago :)  The

1979 is the official start date.

> earliest versions used uucp (and some sites as late as 1994 where still
> using uucp--that's unix to unix copy, by the way.

Actually, there are still a few sites who do not carry everything that
still use UUCP and dial-up lines.

> I prefer the mailing list format, personally.

I find it exclusionary (not deliberately, just by virtue of how it works).
I think a Newsgroup would attract more interested parties.

But this may all be moot.  I do not know that there are enough interested
people to even get a group, much less a usable hierarchy.  What I would
not want to see is a single group.  I would like to see a hierarchy with
maybe groups below it for British classics like Triumph, MG and Healy.

bill

--
bill@cs.uofs.edu         |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |