RE: TR3 - Blown Head Gasket?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 - Blown Head Gasket?
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 17:58:38 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Adrian :

IMO, yank the head.

Be sure to check on both sides that your liners stand up out of the block
the specified amount.  Be sure to check the threads on the head studs (get a
new nut and verify that it spins easily all the way to the end of the
threads), and consider getting a set of 'tall' head nuts (got mine at BFE).
The flat washers under the head nuts are important, make sure you have
either the original ones, or Grade 8 replacements.  Don't use regular flat
washers, or <shudder> lockwashers.  Use anti-seize on the manifold studs.
Be sure you get the right intake/exhaust manifold gaskets (Moss lists the
wrong ones for some TR3 applications : the 'Le Mans' head uses the early
low-port gaskets, not the later high-port gaskets).

It's been my experience that you can just remove the air cleaners and leave
the carbs, intake and exhaust manifolds all just hanging in air, supported
by the downpipe.  But, of course, YMMV <g>

Randall
59 TR3A