Re: valve job

Subject: Re: valve job
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 08:54:24 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
James :

4-5 years ago, I believe I paid $60 for the valve job itself  including
grinding the seats @ 3 angles.  That price would also have included R&R
of the valves, and refacing the valves.  (As it happened, I bought all
new valves, and insisted on doing the dis/assembly myself.)  Installing
new exhaust seats was $50.  I've forgotten now the individual charges
for magna-fluxing, hot-tanking, decking, and valve guide R&R, but the
total shop bill was around $220 (with 8% tax) for a 4 cylinder TR head.

Can't tell you any details, but they had a chemical process that cleaned
up the water jacket deposits, without attacking the aluminum(?) plugs.
It did take off all the paint, tho, and the outer surfaces were starting
to rust only 2 days later.  The oil passages were cleaned with a brush.

One suggestion : write down (preferably type) exactly what you want done
on paper, make a copy for yourself, and give the original to the
machinist.  Discuss it with him ahead of time, and write any changes you
agree to on both sheets.  Include contact information, so he can call
you if necessary (my guy called because he found a casting void when he
ground out one of the exhaust seats).  You should also expect to get a
written price estimate up front, and be consulted if it changes
appreciably.

Randall
59 TR3A
Lakewood, CA