Commission/Vin numbers for the 74 1/2 TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Commission/Vin numbers for the 74 1/2 TR6
From: VK0216@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 03:36:50 EST
    My TR6 is titled as a 1975 TR6 manufactured in January of 1975.  However,
when ordering parts, my CF number falls in the 74 1/2 range CF27001 thru
CF35000.

     It is my understanding by research that in Aug thru December 1975,
Triumph manufactured the 74 1/2 Triumph but as they approached the Nov-Dec
timeframe, they were manufacturing 74 1/2 but calling them 1975 prior to
exporting them from England.  This is why the CF number reflects 74 1/2 and
the title in 1975.

     Usually, when ordering parts, I order them as a 1975 and they have
worked fine.

     My TR was always registered as a Canadian Vehicle prior to my purchase
of it last year and retitling it in Ohio.  I dont know if thats a factor in
this.  Anyway, does anyone else have this problem or have a TR in this range?

     I am in the process of ordering parts for my stromberg carbs (thanks to
all for their responses of my questions) and have once again been perplexed
in determining if I need to order 74 parts (based on the Commission number or
as a 75 based on the manufacturers date.

      The carbs that are advertised as new Strombergs in the Moss Catalogue
under C3771 are for the 1975-76 Triumph.  However in this case, they do not
look like the carbs on my TR6.  Mine attach to the manifold with four
cornered nuts.  These appear to have a triangular design.  Therefore I am
precluding that mine are for the 74 (C3150) which aren't offered.  My carbs
do not have the numbers that Moss refers to stamped on the carbs so that has
further confused the issue....thanks Virgil 74 1/2 or 75 TR6?