TR4 Window gasket - Help!

To: cyf@bighorn.dr.lucent.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 Window gasket - Help!
From: Dean_Mericas <dmericas@limno.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:59:15 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Charlie --

>       So I know there must be a trick. I'm trying to replace the window
>       gasket - the one that holds the bottom edge of the window in the
>       channel of the crank assembly - on my Tr4. The new gasket is thick
>       enough that no amount of downward pressure will press the
>       window+gasket into the channel. I don't want to break the window
>       trying!
>
>       Has anyone been successful at this? Any hints appreciated!!
>
>Thanks,
>- -----------------------------------------
>Charlie Farwell                    1962 TR4 #CT3852L
>cfarwell@lucent.com

I just went through this myself.  My approach was to wrap the rubber cannel
around the bottom edge of the window glass and then use a big rubber mallet
to gently, but firmly, persuade the metal channel over it.  I used a piece
of wood to transfer the blows to the U-section of the channel and avoid
bending the part with the long slots in it.  It took a while because I
didn't want to break anything, and the metal channel tended to hobby-horse
on me (the side I just pushed on would come off as I hammered on the other
side).

YMMV
Dean Mericas
Ann Arbor