TR3 Estimating Welding/Body work time

To: "'TR-List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Estimating Welding/Body work time
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@chekhov.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 12:36:54 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
I realize that this is going to be difficult but...

I dropped (well didn't really drop) off the body tub and corresponding sheet
metal at the strippers yesterday.  They also do full restorations and I
asked them about doing patch and body work while it was there.  They charge
by the hour plus materials.  I'd like to get some idea of what kind of time
I am looking at for them to do it all.  The advantage is that if they do it,
they will put it back through the derust, etc after the welding so treat and
seal the welds, etc.

What are allowable lengths of time to accomplish:

1. Replace driver's side floorpan.  All sections it attaches to are complete
and non-rusted.
2. Replace battery box.
3. Braze and fill about 10 pin/small holes in a variety of locations around
the car.The largest is about 3/16" in diameter  (right dogleg, trailing edge
of left front fender, etc.)
4. Weld broken seams and stress cracks on seat bucket base (left rear
mounting point).  There is a corresponding crack in the floorpan (see #1).

More difficult to estimate:

5. Dolly (is that the right term) about a 5" x 10" area of the front fender
right at the headlight area.  Car was evidently banged in the front at some
point in time.
6. Also, a similar spot on the rear wing but slightly smaller (4" x 8").

7. Apply metal filler at the point where the top of the rear overrider was
pushed into the rear valance.  There is an indentation that mirrors the
overrider about 4" x 3".  There was an unsuccessful attempt to repair this
area by drilling holes and pulling the metal out which was eventually filled
with putty/bondo.

8. The areas around the headlight recess on the inner wings were damaged
(see #5) and never straightened.  Total area about 10" x 15" on both sides.
This will require the re-forming of the headlight recess.

Much thanks
Carl