Re: TR3 Estimating Welding/Body work time

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, musson@chekhov.arts.usf.edu
Subject: Re: TR3 Estimating Welding/Body work time
From: Tr3bob@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 09:42:10 EST
Carl,
I was so concerned about the time it would take to repair dented or lacy
areas and fit fenders to my tub, that I bought the tools and am doing the
work myself.

I had a serious problem with fitting the bonnet and drivers side fender since
PO had welded the inner fender incorrectly.....it was 1" off. When I
contacted a couple of body shops in the area, they didn't even want to touch
it.......said it was beyond their skill.

After much agonizing over what to do...I put the whole project down for 7
months...I finally got up the courage and took the Sawzall to the inner
fender and corrected it myself. This required building a new perch for the
tub at the spring tower.

I don't think I have any special skills, only the determination to apply my
restoration budget to the items I have no control over. Much of the work is
trial and error and it could take hours to fit one fender.

Just be wary of the time......there's lots of "wiggle" room for shops to add
hidden costs and the work you describe could easily cost $3000 to $6000
depending on the shop rate and the time it takes for them to "fiddle" with
the sheet metal.

Good luck and keep in touch.....I'm being there and doing that.

Bob Stahlbush

66 MGB GHN3L 78708
60 TR3A TS 81398L