Re: 5 pt harness/TR4 options?

Subject: Re: 5 pt harness/TR4 options?
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 11:24:18 -0700
"R. John Lye" wrote:

> >Has anyone installed a 5 point harness on original seat (without a rollbar)
> >or replaced their seats in a TR6, I am considering doing this to autocross
> >the car.
>
> You really don't want to have a five point harness in an open car without
> a roll bar;it is extrememly dangerous.  In the rare case of a rollover, you
> really don't want the high point of the car being your head! R. John Lye

Besides a road test of the TR4, one of the old mags the PO passed along has a
photo series of a autocrossing bugeye in a cartwheeling roll. The guy apparently
broke his arm, otherwise fine. Had a lapbelt and a small rollbar.

I understand John's point -- i.e. nice to be able to duck -- but this guy looked
kind of s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out by forces of physics during the roll, so it looked
like his head would have been the highest point *despite the rollbar*. Which
would have been a Very Bad Thing had he not also cartwheeled, so that the car
didn't hit flat upside down till it came to rest. Is it realistic to think you
*can* duck during a roll?

If not a full harness, can anyone share experience AFA installing a shoulder
belt in a TR4? I won't be autocrossing, but after the engine rebuild I will be
driving around a major city every sunny day I can.

[BTW, mine is an early '62 w/ the TR3-style seats. PO-installed lapbelts, and
the period rally [compression?] lapbelt in the boot]

--
Steven Newell
Crave Technology, Denver, CO