Re: 5 pt harness/TR4 options?

Subject: Re: 5 pt harness/TR4 options?
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:02:18 -0700
The Brooks' wrote:

> The other major problem is that if the top end of the shoulder
> harness is mounted below the shoulder, in an accident, as you
> body will go forward and the shoulder belt will place a downward
> force on your shoulders, compressing the spine.  This is
> potentially dangerous.  If you really want a shoulder harness,
> add a roll bar and mount the top to it.

Thanks, I certainly hadn't thought of that. Brad had noted that the two bolts on
the inner wheel well of my '62 TR4 were intended by Triumph FOR a shoulder belt,
but were discontinued shortly after CT5000 (mine is CT5018LO). Who knows,
perhaps because of your point above?

Based on your feedback, if I were to pursue a shoulder belt w/o a rollbar, I
suppose an alternative *could* be to ensure the belt was routed through a pivot
mounted around where the hood frame mounts -- above my shoulder. I think this is
not dissimilar to "modern" convertibles. If only I hadn't talked my brother out
of his Z3 and into an Audi S4, I could run out to the parking garage and check.
:-)

In the meantime, your advice makes me feel a *little* better about driving with
just a lapbelt, at least there are offsetting risks. Thanks again.

Steven Newell
Denver, CO