Re: 5 pt harness/TR4 options?

To: steven@cravetechnology.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 5 pt harness/TR4 options?
From: rjl6n@cstone.net (R. John Lye)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:05:47 -0800
At 11:24 AM 3/21/00 -0700, Steven Newell wrote:
>I understand John's point -- i.e. nice to be able to duck -- but this
>guy looked kind of s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out by forces of physics during
>the roll,

That's true - the human body is a lot more extensible than one would
imagine while subjected to multi-G forces.

>so it looked
>like his head would have been the highest point *despite the rollbar*. Which
>would have been a Very Bad Thing had he not also cartwheeled, so that the car
>didn't hit flat upside down till it came to rest. Is it realistic to think
you
>*can* duck during a roll?

My point was not so much that you'd be able to duck, but that the harness
would not hold you upright.  If your upper body is not constrained from
moving about, in a roll over you will get pushed back down.  With a harness
and no roll bar, you will be held upright and get the top of your head
smacked, at the very least.

>If not a full harness, can anyone share experience AFA installing a shoulder
>belt in a TR4? I won't be autocrossing, but after the engine rebuild I
will be
>driving around a major city every sunny day I can.

FWIW, I've got a very sturdy roll bar in my TR-4 autocross car and have
a five point harness installed.  In my street TR-3A, which has a simple
street type bar, I will only install lap belts.  I used to teach the
"crash and burn" school for a vintage race organization; that's the
background that I base this decision on.

Cheers,

R. John Lye

info@gt-classics.com
http://www.gt-classics.com/