Tachometer calibration anyone?

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tachometer calibration anyone?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:05:35 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hello all, just as I suspected, my tachometer is out of whack.  It was
showing 4,000 RPM at 55 mph, which is around 500-600 RPMs higher than it
should be reading.  I connected an electronic tach this evening and sure
enough, at lower RPM's, my reading is off by a small amount, but as the RPMs
increase, the error grows commensurately.  At 4,000 RPM on the electronic
tach, I'm reading about 4,500 on the mechanical Jaeger.  I wouldn't mind
trying my hand at calibrating the thing myself if such a thing is even
possible.  Has anyone done this?

best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego
'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3
www.ohms.com/spitfire/spitfire.shtml
Jeff's Classic '67 Spitfire Mk3 website and
Classic Spitfire Mk1,2 & 3 Webring