Re: oops! breather pipe goofup

To: David Lee <davelee1@home.com>
Subject: Re: oops! breather pipe goofup
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 00:09:23 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, David Lee wrote:

> Also...I like the look of the push on cap on the valve cover.  Im bidding on
> one from EBAY.  Would there be any problem with me getting rid of the
> breather from the valve cover to air filters or is it really no whooptie?
> what happens when you plug that up as well as the breather pipe on the
> block?  Hope that doesnt build up some goofy pressure.

You have to vent your crankcase somehow- either directly to the atmosphere
(a la TR4 & earlier) or through a PCV valve (TR4A and later).  Otherwise
blowby gases and the like will cause your oil to come out the dipstick
hole (and other bad things too)

Some pressure blowby past the piston rings is normal, especially while
warming up.  I have a bit of excessive blowby, and I can feel the engine
'puff' when I stick my hand over the (exposed, unfortunately) valve cover
breather tube.  I have a hybrid TR4/4A engine (4A block with 4 emissions,
and the hose from valve cover to air cleaners is MIA)

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm