RE: advice needed: thrust wahser shims

To: "frank@zk3.dec.com" <frank@zk3.dec.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: RE: advice needed: thrust wahser shims
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 20:34:12 -0500
Message text written by INTERNET:triumphs-owner@autox.team.net
>Any BTDT?  Arithmetic says sticking a .003 shim behind each washer
>brings it near to the middle of the spec, but would a .003 shim
>survive?  (I mean, it's not supposed to spin after all).
<

I am not speaking from practical experience here (no btdt), but I think your
idea would
work fine.  You need a shim of the right thickness which is the same diameter
(or larger)
as the thrust washer in question.  Then you neet to have the center hole the
right diameter
(approximately will do), and a notch cut out so the tab on the thrust washer
can still lock in the
notch in the case.

I had to take OFF thickness on mine.  A _major_ pain!!!!  But the float is
right in the middle of the range.

-Tony.