RE: Oil Filter Adapter

To: "'trumpet@bellsouth.net'" <trumpet@bellsouth.net>
Subject: RE: Oil Filter Adapter
From: "Jester, Chad (GEAE)" <chad.jester@ae.ge.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 10:20:51 -0500
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
John Summers Wrote:

>I have learned a lot about my TR6 this week.  I have learned how to
>convert from a standard oil filter to the "spin on" adapter type - and
<SNIP>
>Now, my question to all of you is:  On the spin-on oil filter adapter I
>purchased with the optimism that I would soon be able to get an oil
>cooler to go with it, I for the interim, capped the outlet to said
>cooler and capped the return from said cooler.  Will this work?  Or
>should I get a hose to connect the two holes?

John - DO NOT run your engine like this!!!  By capping the hose holes off, you
completely block the flow of oil through the filter.  Your lack of oil pressure
is not due to the electrical connectors on the pressure switch.  TR's have a
mechanical gauge fed off the side of the engine.  If it is reading "0", you
either don't have it connected, or you really don't have oil pressure.  I don't
have an oil system schematic in front of me right now, but I think by blocking
the path through the filter, you force all the oil to go to bypass.

I have an adapter for oil coolers and one without.  The oil pathway inside each
is very different.

>If hose is the answer,,,where can I get one.

If you want a hose, any good hose shop can make you one.  One caution:  The
threads in the aluminum housing are BSP (British Straight Pipe).  I found some
of the proper fittings in a Marine supply shop in Ft. Lauderdale.  Since you are
in Jacksonville, finding the parts shouldn't be too hard.

Regards,

Chad Jester