Differential runs hot, and other problems.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Differential runs hot, and other problems.
From: Tim Hickey <tjhickey@gatecity.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 22:33:51 -0600
My 73 TR6 has just emerged from a complete restoration. I did all of the
work myself over the last 5 years, working from a basket case, and never
having even seen the inside of a TR6 before. It has been quiet a puzzle.
But it now runs, and I have put 35 miles on it between yesterday and today.
Several questions have come up:

1. My differential seems to run hot. It sounds fine in operation, no whine,
no chatter, no growling, but it runs hot. How hot? I don't know the temp,
but it is hot enough that I don't want to leave my hand on it very long.
You can touch it without a burn, but it is warm. (I need to confess that
two years ago I tore it apart and replaced all bearings and seals. I also
seem to remember that the oil in the unit smelled burnt when I took it
apart.)  Is it normal for the rear end to run hot?
2. Tonight I had the car jacked up with the left wheel off of the ground.
The right wheel was on the ground. The car was in gear. While tightening
the lug nuts I was very surprised to learn that the left wheel would turn
as a result of tightening the lug nuts. I always thought that if two out of
three were locked, the third would be locked, too. Is this normal?
3. My lever shocks make an unpleasant noise on the upstroke. Is this a sign
of failure? Low oil?
4. Tonight for the first time I put the top up, and rolled up the windows.
Much misalignment. There is a space about ¾ of an inch at the front between
the window and the top. Can this be adjusted where the window mechanism
     attaches to the door?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Tim Hickey
tjhickey@gatecity.com