top fabric

To: <macleodr@nbnet.nb.ca>
Subject: top fabric
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@home.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 08:59:02 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Rod,  just a quickie.

Once the top has shrunk, "that's it", at least in permanent terms.

You may be able to improve things somewhat (only suggested if it is in
otherwise "top" condition) is to remove the front edge of the top (remove
seal, seal retainer, then carefully peel away the front edge).

Have an upholstery shop sew a piece on the leading edge.  What  you will get
is the appearance of "an extra seam" right at the front - IMHO it does not
look too bad, but not quite original).

Re-glue the new bit to the front of the top frame, but under "substantially
less" tension.  In my experience, you will find that the fabric now
stretches further sideways, as it is not stretched so far lengthways.  There
is only so much total  stretch and shrinkage (somewhere around 10% I think)
in a top's life.  And, if this is an original top with vinyl underside
coating, your job may be that much more difficult!

Dave T
Winnipeg