IRS rear hum

To: Jerry Oliver <slantws@home.com>
Subject: IRS rear hum
From: Anthony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:21:38 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jerry

Having done a complete rebuild -- I can confirm that the "outside" nut does
nothing other than hold the flange to the tapered shaft - and given how
hard it is to get them apart, it probably could be done up finger
tight!  (but please don't do so - Murphy lurks everywhere).  The two large
nuts at the rear of the hub set the end float.  If it helps, I have penned
a description of the process, and can send you a copy of the info - or you
can download it via the excellent Triumph site hosted by Dan Buettner
  http://thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/download.html.  It should give you
enough info to carry out the rebuild, and enough excuses to greatly extend
the range of tools in your workshop!

Tony Gordon
72 TR6

>Hi everybody. Question about rear IRS hubs. I'm reassembling a semi
>basket case car that has had the rear hubs mucked with a bit. On right
>side, the large center nut on the outer side of the stub shaft has been
>loosened. The manual calls this nut the hub retaining nut. That's the
>nut you'd see as you look at the brake drum with the wheel off. In this
>case, it's a castle nut with provision for a cotter key instead of a
>nylock nut. Since the stub shaft is a taper key, would disturbing the
>outer nut impact the end float?? It doesn't appear that it has, but
>since at least 2 this. is needed, it's hard to tell without a dial
>(which I don't own). On the right side, the crush nut and lock nut with
>tab has been beat upon, and the whole nut assembly is loose.
>Fortunately, I have another used hub, and only need to install a new
>universal to repair this. Any tips in installing same would be helpful.
>Jerry Oliver, Olympia, WA. 68 TR250, 66TR4A (2), 62 TR4, 61 MGA, 58
>Jaguar OTS.

   Anthony Gordon                       Technology Education Consultant
   Saginaw Public Schools               tel:    1-517-797-4855
   ISDC, 1505 Ottawa Blvd               fax:    1-517-797-4778
   Saginaw, MI 48602, USA               email:  tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us