Re: Offering First To The List

To: "Martin A. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>, "David Moag" <moag@ix.netcom.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Offering First To The List
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:44:21 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
May I suggest a "cooling off" period for Ken and all those who are flaming
him over this situation?

I've listed parts that I didn't need for sale on eBay in the past, but
didn't announce them to the list.  I suffered no repercussions as a result.
Ultimately, the items went to list members anyway, who as far as I can tell,
got very reasonable deals.  On some of the items I sold, the shipping cost
more than the item itself.  No harm, no foul.

Mr. Shapiro's offense seems to be NOT that he listed his items for sale on
eBay, but that he then promoted that sale on the Triumph lists to draw
attention to it, thereby increasing his chances of more people bidding on
the item in question.  I'm going on a limb here, but my guess would be that
Ken probably very much regrets making that announcement.  The implication is
that by doing this, he is either "selling out" his list buddies or worse
yet, pitting them against one another in a bidding situation.

I personally don't blame Ken for wanting to reach a wider audience by
listing on eBay or for trying to get the most that he can for his used air
shocks.  It's a quiant little concept known as capitolism.  It really
doesn't bother me that he announced the auction on the lists, either,
because I have no personal interest in purchasing his air shocks.  If I DID,
I would probably be perturbed with his actions, since I would have less of a
chance of getting a "deal".

But let's not crucify the guy or put him on the defensive any further.  I
don't see how that's going to do anything but create bad feelings and I
really don't think that's necessary or desireable.  Mr. Shapiro, in my view,
has learned (the hard way) not to hype his own eBay sales on the lists.  I
say, let it go and let's move on.

My two cents.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego