Spifire help

To: Mark Dickinson <amdickin@ucalgary.ca>
Subject: Spifire help
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 21:37:39 -0500
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by Mark Dickinson
>I have a 1980 spifire (rescently purchaced) whos turnsiganls have
stopped working.  The hazards still function and I am led to believe
that the flasher unit is the same for both functions.  I took the turn
signal switch apart and rebuilt it.  The contacts short correctly but
still there is no indicationg going on.  Is the flasher unit the same?
If not where is it?  I found the hazard relay above the cubby on the LHS
(black square casing).  There is another cylindrical unit attached with
the same screw but I think it is for the coolong fan.  Any suggestions?
I am als lookin for instructions as to the correct method for putting
the top down.  I am currently able to fold it down but I would like to
make sure that I am doing it correctly - tops are expensive.

Thanks
Mark Dickinson
<

Mark,

congratulations on your acquisition.  Spitfires are the most underrated
Triumph out there.

The turn signals and emergency flashers use the same lamps (duh!) so
obviously there is a point where they share circuitry.  This junction is
the emergency (hazard) switch.  From that point back there is separate
circuits for the two which includes the flasher unit.

But since the two circuits come together at the hazard switch a faulty
switch can prevent your turn signals from working.  And just because the
hazards work doesn't mean the other part of the switch is good.  Try
setting the turn signal on and operate the hazard switch back and forth and
see if they don't start to work.  (contact corrosion is fairly common on
these older cars)  Else look for the turn signal flasher (not the same as
the hazard flasher).

Good luck

Dave