Rover today

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rover today
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 13:34:02 EDT
By Peter Woodman and Phil Hazlewood, PA News

Ex-Rover boss John Towers today formally launched his bid to take over his
former company and possibly save thousands of jobs.

Rover's German owners BMW said they had received a letter "containing a
proposal for the takeover of Rover from a consortium that includes John
Towers".

BMW said it was now examining the letter and was "not in a position" to make
any further comment.

The move by Mr Towers, who was chief executive at Rover, means BMW must now
consider this new offer against the rival bid from venture capitalist company
Alchemy Partners.

But while Alchemy's plans will involve heavy job losses and a slimming down
of production, Mr Towers is understood to have outlined a scheme to keep
Rover as a volume car producer.

Trade and Industry Secretary Stephen Byers gave the Towers' bid a ringing
endorsement during a trip to the Midlands today.

Speaking on Birmingham-based BBC Radio WM today, Mr Byers said: "The Towers
plan offers a better prospect than perhaps anything else. He has got some
exciting ideas which I think are worthy of consideration."

He went on: "In the conversations I have had with John Towers he has said to
me very clearly that one of the reasons why he wants to give it a go is
because he knows the commitment of the workforce at Longbridge.

"He knows the skills and the dedication that you have given to that plant
over the years and he believes that by working together with the workforce
there is a real chance of a far better prospect for the future than is being
offered by Alchemy."