Re: Frozen spark plugs

To: Mike Barron <jmikebarron@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Frozen spark plugs
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 10:06:28 -0400 ()
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Mike Barron wrote:

> Tried to remove and replace the plugs on the "weenie" a few weeks ago
> (TR3) and got two out, and gave up on the other two, and tightened
> them back up.   COULD NOT get them out.   Going to try using WD40 to
> lubricate the threads by loosening, spraying, tightening and
> loosening, and repeating the process until plugs come out.  Question:
> How do I prevent this in the future? (Providing I am successful in
> getting them out this time)

This is a wild guess, but is it possible that you have the wrong kind of
plugs in the engine? TR3's generally take a Champion L87Y or equivalent;
most notably this is a 1/2" reach plug. Perhaps you have an N9Y or
equivalent, the "N" series being 3/4" reach plugs. What that means is that
you've got the better part of 1/4" worth of threads in the combustion
chamber to get garped up with any and all deposits from the combustion
process.

I ran into a similar situation many years ago on a Spitfire Mk2, which
also should have had 1/2" reach plugs but had 3/4" reach plugs. Being a
fairly young kid and not knowing any better, I simply muscled them out
before discovering what the problem had been. I don't advocate that
process, but with a cast iron head the chances aren't all that great of
ruining the threads in the head.

I'd keep soaking if I were you. It can't hurt.

--Andy