Re: Need help!

To: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Need help!
From: Jonathan Beaudoin <jbdoin@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 22:45:23 -0400
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>

David Massey wrote:

> Message text written by Jonathan Beaudoin
> >We went through this last week with another lister.  If you have spark and
> fuel but no run check the timing.  You will need a timing light for this.
> Also remember that the crank will be in the same position when #1 is firing
> or when #6 is firing.  The time to fire is determined by the position of
> the camshaft.  The most common problem is setting the distributor at TDC on
> #6 thiinking it is at TDC on #1.
>
> Check the timing and report back.
>
> Bon chance
>
> Dave

Good evening to all...

    Here's what I have done : Set the timing static at 10 BTCD, check that the
rotor was at #1 position when at TDC on the crankshaft. Here what I have now :
when I crank, nothing at all, when I stop cranking, the two carbs shoot a very
low sound backfire with smoke. There is some smoke coming out of the exhaust...
Could my mechanic did something wrong with the timing at crank and cam?  I am a
bit disappointed about all this, after two weeks of exam and dreaming about the
6 nothing is working... I got to get this thing on the road by saturday  ( Prom
day!!)

Jonathan