RE: TR 6 Fuel Pump question

To: "'VK0216@aol.com'" <VK0216@aol.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR 6 Fuel Pump question
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 09:21:29 -0400 charset="iso-8859-1"
Virgil!!!
        Stop driving ASAP! Not to be an alarmist, but the same thing
happened to my TR4A motor several years ago, the fulcrum pin wiggled out,
and I pushed it back in a couple of times, vowing to get a fresh pump 'real
soon'.  Eventually, the pin fell out completely, and the pump lever 'walked'
further into the block, where it jammed against it's cam lobe and the inside
of the block, BREAKING THE CAM! You wouldn't think a crappy little gas pump
lever could do this, but I suppose the cam has been hardened and is not
designed for this type of loading.  ( Pictures on file somewhere!) I would
not be too concerned with the work involved with changing some fuel lines,
if things are really difficult, you can use some short rubber interconnect
lines to make the tubing installation easier.  I am not sure if the TR6
block and cam orientation will result in a disaster like mine,  but do you
really want to take that chance?  Pumps are cheap-o!
Regards,
        Bob Westerdale
( Now running a nice electric pump, no worries!)

I have noticed lately an oil leak below my fuel pump.  I suspected the fuel
pump gasket need replacement.

I took off the fuel pump and found that the rocker fulcrum pin that holds
the
rocker arm in place had quite nearly fell out of the pump.  I reengaged it
carefully running it thru the various required washers and the rocker.  I
noticed that the two lock washers on either side did not really lock the
fulcrum pin in place as the pin had no recesses in it to lock on to the
washers.  Anyway, it stopped the oil leak but after driving my TR for the
weekend I rechecked to make sure pin was in place.  Once again the pin had
quite nearly fallen out of the pump.  Does anyone have any
suggestions/recommendations please.  I found that new fuel pumps are not
identical to my existing one and I would have to modify my fuel lines which
do not want to do if possible.  Thanks in advance.   Virgil 75 TR6 Cleve, Oh