Strombergs and timing.

To: "'Triumph Digest List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Strombergs and timing.
From: John Jacobsen-Watts <johnw@wrq.com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 06:42:20 -0700 charset="iso-8859-1"
Jay:

You probably need new throttle shafts in your carbs. I have seen a tech.
check this by applying silicone sealer around the shaft-into-carb areas. He
let it set up a bit, such that it would seal but not prevent the shafts from
turning. Started the car and checked the mixture. If you have just rebuilt
your carbs, it is very common for the screws, etc. to loosen a bit following
heat/cold/heat/cold/etc. I made a point of tightening all of the screws and
nuts I had touched during the rebuild and it did pay off. Bypass valve,
Temp. compensator, etc. were all just a bit loose. But what made the most
difference was replacing ALL of the rubber connectors and lines between the
carb and the distributor. Emissions are now spot-on.

Other possibilities:
= Trim screw not fully home. Turn this clockwise to lightly seat it.
= Oil in damper is too light, permitting air valve to come up too much and
allow too much air into the mix. Maybe try 20/50? (Listers help me here!)
distributor.

As to timing, I will leave that to the list. I maintain a 4ATDC tho.

John
johnw@wrq.com