Re: Tires and Wheels

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <tr32673@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Tires and Wheels
From: "Erkan Hassan" <ehassan@rx.umaryland.edu>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 09:31:04 -0400
Just this morning, I dropped my wire wheels off at the Ye Old Wheel
Shop in Elkridge MD 800 526-8260 (they were recommended to me by
several sources...usual disclaimers apply).  They are to check out the
wheels to see how many spokes need changing.  Then mount and balance
the new tires onto the wheels.  Apparently they had the Dayton
contract for all their work.

The check and repair fee is $75 plus $1.5 per spoke needing
replacement.  The mounting/balancing is $15 per wheel.

The guy at the counter did say that the new wheels are being pumped
out so fast that often it is cheaper to buy new wheels rather than
repair the old ones.  And therefore, he does not keep a lot of spokes
in stock.  Orders to Dayton for spokes take about a month to come in.

The DPO had the car for 8 years and never had the wheels tuned.  I
may be in the market for new wheels as some of the spokes were rather
rusty.

This is the first time I've used them so if your interested, let me
know and I'll send you my results.

Erkan Hassan
62 TR3B
TCF 536