RE: Tires and Wheels

To: "'Erkan Hassan'" <ehassan@rx.umaryland.edu>, triumphs@autox.team.net, tr32673@concentric.net
Subject: RE: Tires and Wheels
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 09:49:56 -0400 charset="iso-8859-1"
Something sounds fishy here.  I suspect the real reason for the "no stock on
spokes" is that he makes a lot more $ on a new sale.  Truing wheels requires
skill and patience, and you have to pay the wheel mechanic more than the
average tire jockey.  Arguably, if the hub splines are worn, or the rim
significantly damaged, you'd be better off with new wheels anyway.  But for
the Wheel-guy to claim that he has no spokes in stock and you must wait for
a month sounds to me like you are being railroaded into the "New Wheel
Showroom".
Beware!!!
Bob Westerdale
59 TR3A TS36967E

snip>
The guy at the counter did say that the new wheels are being pumped
out so fast that often it is cheaper to buy new wheels rather than
repair the old ones.  And therefore, he does not keep a lot of spokes
in stock.  Orders to Dayton for spokes take about a month to come in.
Erkan Hassan
62 TR3B
TCF 536