Re: 72 Spitfire GBox questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 72 Spitfire GBox questions
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 13:42:11 -0400
OHFASTONE@aol.com wrote:

> I have the gearbox out and I'm contemplating opening it up myself.

Dive right in, Michael, the water's fine!  I did my GT6's
box over the winter, and I am by no means a certified
mechanic.  (I'm an LBC owner, in other words, I was
desperate!)

The only advice I'd offer is, get yourself a copies of
Hayne's manual, the factory manual (Bentley reprint is
fine), and the factory parts catalog.  Haynes will help you
disassemble the thing without any Churchill tools.  (The
only tools I needed beyond the usual assortment of wrenches
were a drift and a BFH.  For the drift, I used a 1 lb. ingot
of lead.)  The others are merely for identifying the
incorrect parts the PO put in there before you.

Assembling the thing may be another story, however.  For the
GT6 anyway (which has the same transmission design as the
Spit), Bentley assumes you have the full set of Churchill
tools.  Haynes assumes you don't want a first gear.  When
you get to that point, let me know and I'll tell you how I
got mine together without tools, *and* a working first gear.
--
Douglas Frank Compaq Computer Corp.  Helpmate, n.
ZKO           110 Spit Brook Rd.     A wife, or bitter half.