A-Type OD woes

To: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Subject: A-Type OD woes
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 06:56:09 -0400
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by Tony Rhodes
>The big ball bearing units in the trans (front and middle) were pretty
badly >trashed.  The ball bearings themselves were not mirror shiny.  They
were grey
>and pitted.  The races were rather loose.  I wonder if the rear bearing in
the OD
>(is there one?) should be replaced as well....

-Tony
<

The question is: why did the bearings go bad?  Was it a chemical
incompatibility?  If so then eince the transmission and overdrive share the
same lubricating oil there may be more of the same in the O/D.  In
inspection is warranted.

You will be inspecting the pistons as you replace the O-rings but you will
also need to inspect the accumulator, the one way clutch the rear bearing
and the planetary gear set.  And don't forget the sliding clutch bearing as
well.

Good luck

Dave