A-Type OD woes

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: A-Type OD woes
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 21:18:49 -0400
Well, you should see the crud that I got out of the inside of my
OD unit!   I have the trans. stripped and that is all cleaned out.  I was
working
on the OD this evening.  There was this crud on the lower part of the  inside.
I just
thought it was a little crud.  Boy was I wrong.  It was a ton of crud.  It was
probably
a good thing it was just stuck there.  It had an awful lot of magnetic filings.
 I used a screwdriver
which happened to be magnetized to scrape the crud.  The stuff stood off the
screwdriver like
hair!

The OD is quite clean now.  Later I need to fix up the O rings inside it.

The big ball bearing units in the trans (front and middle) were pretty badly
trashed.  The
ball bearings themselves were not mirror shiny.  They were grey and pitted.
The races
were rather loose.  I wonder if the rear bearing in the OD (is there one?)
should be replaced
as well....

-Tony