A-Type OD woes

To: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: A-Type OD woes
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 07:13:50 -0400
Message text written by David Massey
>The question is: why did the bearings go bad?  Was it a chemical
>incompatibility?  If so then >eince the transmission and overdrive share the
>same lubricating oil there may be more of the >same in the O/D.  In inspection
>is warranted.

I doubt it was galvainc corrosion due to dissimilar metals, rather I think  the
ball bearings
went bad due to "3rd body wear" (metal particles).  I do not know for sure.
This
car was autocrossed heavily after it was ground-up restored 18 years ago.  He
used
the OD hard (abused?).  I think this damage occurred from that heavy use.  The
OD works great
as is, but I will be dismantling it further.  It might be hard as  I could not
get the tail housing
off the OD even with considerable persuasion.  I may have my brit car mechanic
(who can
solve any problem) have a whack (literally) at it.

>You will be inspecting the pistons as you replace the O-rings but you will
>also need to inspect >the accumulator, the one way clutch the rear bearing and
>the planetary gear set.  And don't >forget the sliding clutch bearing as well.<

Good points.  I will inspect these things closely.

-Tony