TR6 Front Spring fitting question

To: Tony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Subject: TR6 Front Spring fitting question
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 11:39:32 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, 6 Pack Digest <6packlist@mfasco.com> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by Tony Gordon
>Although I am sure my memory is on the way out at times, I am certain that

I had read on the list (and maybe in a manual) that you need to use an
internal-type (fits inside springs) spring compressor to remove the front
springs.

After fabricating one using steel plate and a .5" threaded rod, and trying
to compress the spring (the rod started looking like a sample on a
Houndsfield tensometer, the machine they use to test tensile strength of
metal parts so I gave up).

Then read the Factory manual, and blow me down, it says that you don't even

need to use a spring compressor .... anyone offer any advice on the best
and safest way of fitting comp. springs?
<

You can remove the springs without a compressor but you will need one to
re-install.  And if you do take them out this way stand clear as there is
some compression left when the last nut comes off.

You appreach on the spring compressor is the right one but all the ones I
have seen use 3/4 inch threaded rod.  And the hardware store variety
threaded rod is good for half a dozen operations before it starts to show
signs of fatigue.

Dave