Re: TR3A Battery? Problem

To: "Robert Van and Ann Cross" <vancross@visuallink.com>
Subject: Re: TR3A Battery? Problem
From: "Stephane St-Amant" <steph71tr6@crosswinds.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 21:01:26 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I had a battery died on me once the same way.  The car was a daily driver
year-round (wasn't a LBC!) and one summer day, started the car to go to
work, no problem, tried to start the car after work... nothing.  Checked to
see if I had left the lights on or something... Everything was off.  Tried
to start again, still nothing except that some of my gauges were acting
funny.  The tach was zooming all the way to the stop in a flash!  Even
though the engine wasn't running.

Got the car boosted and drove it for about an hour.  Turned it off and tried
to start it again... Same thing, no juice and funny gauges.

A mechanic later told me that old batteries can die suddenly and, if I
remember correctly, changes polarity or something like that.  Which would
explain the funny gauges.

The only difference with your case is the age of the battery.  Mine was
about 6-8 years old.

Somebody (any electrical engineers listening?) may be able to give you a
more scientific explanation.  But the final result is the same:  batteries
can die suddenly.

Steph