Re: TR6 Heat Problem

To: mhimelfarb@ShoppersDrugMart.CA
Subject: Re: TR6 Heat Problem
From: Jochen.Saal@t-online.de (Jochen Saal)
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 18:03:38 +0200
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Mike,

don't trust your gauche, my one shows 1/2 with a warm engine and I had the same
symptoms at my TR6. Try to measure the water temperature while the engine is
warm. Take care when you open the cap, hot steam may burn your fingers! Use
gloves and a towel and slowly unscrew the cap. I bet, the water is close to
boiling.
At the time the TR's were build, traffic was still not that heavy as today (at
least in Europe), so the normal air vent was sufficient. After 20+ years, the
radiator has lost 30 to 50% of its cooling capacity and the fan does not
produce
enough air flow during idle to cool the water.

This is what I did:
1. Added an electrical fan (scrap yard)
2. Bought a new water return pipe (lower connection at the radiator)
   with a welded nut for a temperature switch (from Moss)
3. I got a Temperature switch from the scrap yard (actually several with
   different operating temperatures)
4. Replaced my voltage stabilizer with a solid state type (10Volts) to get
   a correct reading for temp and gas (that's optional, it has nothing to do
   with the overheating)

If you are riding a long time at stop and go (+1 hour), I recommend a stronger
alternator. I got a Ford Fiesta (maybe its called different in the US) with
75Amps output. The late TR6 only has 35Amps. This gives me enough power to use
my head lamps as well. The car is pretty tiny and too many idiots driving
around.

Hope that answers your questions,

best regards,

Jochen Saal